Friday, June 10, 2011

A Brown Thumb Gets Its Bloom

As I've mentioned before, I have a great talent for killing plants.  It's not something I'm proud of.  It's not even something I come by honestly as most of the rest of my family grows a pretty mean garden.  I think the problem is that plants don't tend to complain when they're dying.  They just sort of quietly turn brown.  So imagine my surprise when I went to the window and noticed this:


That's right.  Not only is my hoya not dead, but it's thriving to the point where it is using its precious resources to produce flowers.  This is very exciting news in my world.  Very exciting news indeed.

But what's a little bit ironic is that this is the only plant in the house that doesn't have a name.  I specifically gave my other plants names because it seemed like a good way to make the sort of connection which would facilitate my remembering to water them.  The hoya slipped through the cracks in this regard because I didn't expect it to grow at all.  However, both Pete and Samuel are on their way out - it's really only a matter of time - so perhaps there is some sort of bad luck attached to naming plants....

Case in point:  Audrey II

No comments:

Post a Comment